Be a Part of This Historic Moment in Madison
Our goal is to raise $36 million to build and run The Center.
This is the first multi-million dollar transformational project in Madison, led by and for the Black community. This is our time – the time to show the strength and leadership of our community.
When the Black Community Thrives, the Region Benefits
Madison’s need for The Center is clear, and we can only make it a reality if the city’s philanthropic community, business community, and individual donors come together to build this project that will benefit all of us from Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin, and beyond. To learn more about the project, download our case statement.
The Black Excellence Campaign
More than 300 Black community members and their honorees donated the first, foundational gifts and with your help we plan to open the doors of The Center in late 2023.
The Capital Campaign Leadership Committee
The Capital Campaign Leadership Committee is in charge of raising the $36 million necessary to bring The Center to life.
A Word from Our Co-Chairs
“It’s time! We are ready to showcase intergenerational Black achievement from yesterday, today, and for the future. Are you ready?”
– Hon. Frances Huntley-Cooper, Capital Campaign Co-Chair
“I am thrilled to be working with Rev. Dr. Alex Gee on one of the biggest ideas in the city’s history, The Center for Black Excellence and Culture. The Center will be transformative, changing the narrative of the Greater Madison region and its future to one that is truly inclusive and welcoming. It will celebrate the culture and contributions of the Black Madisonians who have been a part of the fabric of Madison since its inception. And it will be a Black inspired and designed space where all can gather, learn, create, celebrate, and promote Black excellence and culture.”
– Neil Heinen, Capital Campaign Co-Chair
With this campaign underway, we’re a step closer to improving the quality of life for Black Madisonians and enriching the region’s culture. You too can become a part of building The Center by contributing to its success today.
Thank You to Our $100,000+ Donors
- State of Wisconsin: $5,000,000
- American Family Insurance: $2,500,000
- Summit Credit Union: $2,000,000
- CUNA Mutual Foundation: $1,000,000
- Rep. Mark Pocan Federal Earmark (Supported by Sen. Tammy Baldwin): $1,000,000
- Dane County: $810,000
- Pleasant T. Rowland Foundation: $500,000
- W. Jerome Frautschi Foundation: $500,000
- Dave and Terri Beck-Engel $500,000
- Comer Family Foundation: $500,000
- Anonymous: $500,000
- Bankers’ Bank: $250,000
- City of Madison: $250,000
- Marla and Larry Frank: $125,000
- M3 Insurance: $100,000
- Betty Harris Custer and Corkey Custer $100,000
- Jim and Jessica Yehle: $100,000
- Mike and Karin Victorson: $100,000
- UW Health: $100,000
- Anonymous: $100,000 (2)